Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Family Fun {God-Sized Dream}

Here is Holley's challenge for this week: take this “do what you can” step for your God-sized dream…Take some time to play. Do something creative. Snap a picture. Build a Pinterest board. Make a craft. Read a book. Bake a treat. Wrestle with your kids. Whatever energizes you. It can be related to your God-sized Dream in some way or totally different. Sometimes along the way to our dreams we just need a little time to play. It helps us keep going and reminds us not to take ourselves too seriously.
     _______________________________________________

Have you ever had one of those weekends that you look forward to for a month or more?  You have such big plans of all the fun and family time you are going to have.  Nothing big like a beach trip but just some time spend together relaxing.  Well this past weekend was suppose to that weekend at my house.  Both of my grown kids would be spending the whole weekend with us, Friday night would be dinner with friends and Sunday we would celebrate my birthday.  As a momma I could not have been more excited.   

Several weeks ago we had some thunderstorms with strong straight line winds that wiped out all of the pine trees in our yard.  My hubby had spend every evening cutting up the downed tree to clean up the mess.  Normally my father-in-law would be right by Mike's side in watch and make sure he didn't get hurt but this one night I decided to be the watchman.  With each cut of the chainsaw a cloud of pollen was released in the air over our heads.  I didn't think much of it until we got closer and closer to the weekend.  I began to feel every particle of pollen settled in my sinus.  I woke up on Wednesday with itchy swollen eyes, stuffy nose, a little cough and major headache.  Thursday was worse but I was determined not to let it ruin my weekend so I went on to work and even to dinner Friday night.  Saturday proved to be the end of my plans.  I spent most the day in bed both Saturday and Sunday.


I have to admit that I was a little upset that things did not work out as I planned but once again God taught me that He knew best. See, as I laid in bed I was able to spend some time helping my daughter search the internet for information she need for a research paper.  That may not have been the most exciting thing either one of us would have planned but I can't tell you how much it meant to me.  Since she turned 20 and is off at school, I have struggled to find where our relationship is.  To have her ask for my help (and accept my instructions) lets me know that she does still need her momma some.  
This is them being silly
We finished up later Saturday evening then my son arrived.  As I heard my two kids just talking and laughing together I knew that no matter what they would each always have someone to watch their back.  They may fuss, fight and yell but they also have a deep everlasting love for one another.  
Then Sunday after Samantha left to go back to school, Anthony sat on the edge of my bed and we got to spend a while talking about things. I am so proud to see how much they have grow.  Not much give a mother more peace than to know her children walk 
with the Lord.

So although the weekend did not go as I had planned, looking back I the only thing I would change would be to have had some softer tissue for my nose.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,
    Thanks for sharing. Life's interruptions....and how the Lord blessed every moment. Have a great day!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, friend...I'm sorry things didn't work out as you'd planned but so thankful you were able to have that special time with your kids! Praying you are feeling better soon, too...(((hugs))). Blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you have been sick. Sinus trouble is the worst. I appreciate your making the best of the situation and talking with your kids. Hope you feel better soon. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you've been sick, but it still sounds like you got some quality time with your kids, and I'm sure that's what you really wanted anyways. I'm reading this book called No More Perfect Mom, and I'm in the chapter about being flexible when the unexpected happens, and being able to change when the plans change. When I saw what you wrote it really stood out to me, guess God is trying to tell me something huh? :)

    ReplyDelete